Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Is no news good news?

                I know I should be updating about our latest trip home, but for some reason, I keep thinking about phone calls. Have you heard the saying ‘No news is good news.’ Is that really true? I’ve taken some time and thought about this topic and think this phrase is false. Of course rarely do you think that when the phone rings it’s going to be bad news. But if you don’t hear from a friend it could be a good thing because they’ve been so busy or a bad thing because they’re afraid to call because they don’t want to bother you. So no, no news does not mean good news. I want to stress, that anyone can call me anytime good or bad, because I’ve had my fair share of good and bad calls to give to people. So I’m ready and willing to give you my best listening ears and friendship.
                  I thought about the phone calls that I’ve received that are both good and bad. And I can tell you where I was each time I heard some great news over the phone or horrible news. And unfortunately my mom has received a phone call that a mother never wants to get. And I can’t even begin to imagine what was going through her mind when she heard I was in fair condition after an accident and she needed to decide where they should take me. Every time something about the accident comes up, I can’t get that thought out of my head. It is awful. No one should get that call. 
                     I’ll start with the bad phone calls first so that we can end on a happy note. –There was the call from Matt saying he rolled his truck. I wanted to scream, run and cry to my mom. After my pitty party that I threw for myself, I pulled myself off the hallway floor and put Dude in the car and headed off to see the rest of our family who was still ALIVE and HEALTHY.
                       Then there are the phone calls that you never want to hear from your mom when you live 1800 miles away. It was the worst phone call. Ever. It was mind numbing. I had so many questions running through my head, but I had no clue how to react or what to say. Well really, I again, wanted to scream, cry and run home to my mom, but that’s a little hard.
                         And then there are calls that are good/bad all in one phone calls like where I was when Mandy called about her tough decision to move to live with Bucky the Badger (Brookings apartment).
                  And OF COURSE there are happy phone calls that I’ve received. I can tell you where I was when Lindsay (in bed) , Pam (Toledo St couch), Clara (boat on Island lake) Dani (Toledo) and Heather (driving home from work) called to tell me they were engaged. When Clara, Amy, Pam told me they were pregnant. Payton being born (coming out of the dentist). Those moments make me smile.
                     And then there are the phone calls that I don’t remember where I was or what I was doing. But the phone calls make your day. - Talking to someone who you haven’t talked to in forever, or that conversation that makes you feel good and happy to have such a great friend.

And then there are times when I think I hear my phone ringing and it’s not.. ahahah.
                           
                        The reason why I wanted to write about phone calls is because they are so important. They keep us connected with one another. One can bring a smile to your face or a tear to your eye. I think the good definitely outweigh the bad of course. And the bad ones are learning lessons for how strong you are.
                           I guess this is my way of saying; I am prepared for the good, bad and ugly. I miss you and would like a call…

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this. Maybe you have missed your calling and you should be a columnist- is that the right word?

    When I read your blog it reminds me of sex and the city when Carrie(sp) reads her columns to us.

    I love you and I remember exactly where I was, what time it was and how I felt the day I got the phone call about you and your accident. It's as clear as day. Good or bad it is burned in my memory for probably forever.

    ReplyDelete